There is a simple free utility from Microsoft that will help you shrink digital photos with few mouse clicks.
Get Image Resizer PowerToy:
1. Download Image Resizer
2. Run ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe setup file
3. Follow onscreen instructions until installation is finished
Using Image Resizer PowerToy:
1. Start Windows Explorer (click Start->All Programs->Windows Explorer or right click on “My Computer” icon and select “Explore”)
2. Locate images you want resize (jpg, gif, png, bmp and tiff images are supported)
4. Select image size that you want
Small – 640×480
Medium – 800×600
Large – 1024×768
Handheld PC – 240×320
Custom – width x height – enter maximum dimensions you want
Whatever size you select, don’t worry about photo aspect ratio, it will remain the same.
5. Check “Make pictures smaller but no larger” to make sure that small photos will not be enlarged
6. Leave “Resize the original pictures (don’t create copies)” unchecked
7. Click OK. Processing will take from one second to few minutes depending on your computer speed and number of photos you selected.
8. Original photos will remain the same, and new smaller photos will appear in the same folder only renamed. For example, if original photo is named “MyPhoto.jpg”, resized one will be named “MyPhoto (xxxx).jpg” where “xxxx” is “Small”, “Medium”, “Large” or “Custom” depending on size selected.
When sending email make sure that you attach smaller images with “(xxxx)” in their name.